Stay In Touch!

Subscribe to our YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/OurHonestView

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OurHonestView

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ourhonestview

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"The" Tre Calvin's Favorite Game Series Is Evolving TO!?!?!??! Pokémon





REMEMBER to BECOME a FAN by LIKING our FACEBOOK page! Our Honest View

For me, the love story and conversation for best game series began roughly two to three years ago. It might even have been four now, but I’m not positive about the details. A lot of my good friends were playing a ton of Nintendo DS, and to say I was jealous would be the world’s biggest understatement. 

Most of them religiously played Pokemon, and I’m not gonna lie; I wasn’t even remotely excited. I mean seriously, a turn based children’s RPG with no real storyline? Yeah, count me out. So naturally, part of the conditions of me obtaining my first DS included the play-through of all Pokemon games. It’s an agreement I still haven’t fully met to this day (sorry guys).


I started with Pokemon Soul Silver. On paper, it was the most one-dimensional, straightforward games I’ve ever played. There was an amazing lack of storyline, loads of cute monsters, half of which I never intend to use, and an end game that apparently ends with me getting a bunch of legendary dudes that look well... let’s just say silly. I coasted through the badges and elite four in something like 20 hours. 

At that point, in my heart it was one of the biggest wastes of time I’ve ever endured. I’m talking to my good friend Nick one day, and he’s explaining to me that there’s a large amount of time and energy to invest into playing Pokemon competitively, and that folks, is where our love story really kicks off.

Looking at my team that absolutely demolished the Elite Four, I was thinking I’d wreck a few of my friends nice and quick, and they would let me move on to better games. Well, I got my behind handed to me. Before we continue this story, I’d like to note I’m a decent loser. You can learn a lot from your losses, and no real winner never loses, but I was pissed! Who cares that they have played Pokemon since seemingly the dawn of time. It’s a simple, crappy, one-dimensional RPG at best right? 

Right?! 

Oh, it’s not huh? 

The game has more mechanics, silent factors and features, and cool abilities than any game I can quickly remember. Turns out I’d been coasting through the game wrong for ages and I needed to start over. 
 
Training, breeding, nature checking, countless articles, and dozens of losses later, I’d invested well over 100 hours into my Soul Silver file. It’s depressing really. I think I lost 30 or so matches before wracking up a single win. The win was sadly pathetic too. A friend literally built a one-dimensional team and I stumbled into its flaws.


You ever get that odd feeling one win is a cure-all though? I went on a cute spree, assembling a fundamental team that literally re-created Pokemon for me. I still wasn’t feeling it. Fast forward another 20-30 hours of play, and I’m just about done caring about Pokemon yet again. I’ve built what I think is a sweet team. I’m not always winning, but I’m comfortable where I sit. I had nothing new to prove. 

Then I stumbled across Marowak, and this dude is freaking awesome. He’s missing a lot, but he fights with a bone club and he has a bone mask. He was, and is, literally the most badass pokemon ever! My first real Pokemon obsession began.


I will win with this guy I told myself. He’s a baller. Well, my normal winning strike began, but this time was different. I was having a blast. The universal response to my awesome Marowak was an awesome mix of disgust and admiration. He lost a lot, and boy do I mean a lot. He was too slow and defensive, but not defensive enough, but boy could that club hit. And by the way, did I mention he was a bad ass? I needed to fix this!


Thinking back to my old MMO days, I realized I needed the Pokemon equivalent of a support cast to level the playing ground for him. Insert Ninjask, this speedy ninja fly, and Umbreon, a super cute dark themed four-legged monster. If you look into this yourself you’ll see I’m doing Umbreon no justice here. I started to truly love my team!


There’s no true reference to explain its results, but for my own sake I’ll try. You know the old crappy cars in every neighborhood that always gets you where you need to go? That’s the best I got. I piled up a bunch of awkward wins and even more awkward losses, and I was at the peak of my Pokemon fun.


Pokemon Black and White comes. It’s like the one time the prodigy had a really ugly accident baby. I’ve never loved a game and hated its sequel so much ever. It took me 40 hours of playing to get through Elite Four, mostly because I keep nodding off while playing. How much money do these people make? 

They need to hire a better story-writer. 

That games "story" was awful. I put story in quotations because calling it a story is an insult to other stories. With post game, I get to transfer my dudes though, and start competitive with my mates again. The romance not only continues, but grows.


A hundred or so more hours are consumed creating, recreating, scheming, whining and reading. How the hell is this the best gaming series for you one might ask? The process to me was simple. Pokemon to me was the first time ever to me that I endured years of loss passionately. I looked forward to playing, and plotted the best way to accomplish completely mundane tasks with a smile on my face.

 I can’t think of a single game that has a chore factor that I’ve ever looked forward to. I invested 200-300 hours into the game, and I know for a fact that I haven’t enjoyed the games to the fullest. Everything is so cute! There are hundreds of unique monsters for you to catch and level, and competitive Pokemon is more complex than most games I have ever played. It’s a gaming goldmine. If for some odd reason you have been under a rock for ages and haven’t already done so, I highly suggest you pick up a copy of Pokemon and begin your own love story today!



 **Borrowed From Nintendo Magazine**




FUTURE:

Now with the second anniversary of the Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo is promising us a brand new story, brand new Pokemon on a brand new platform! 3D! Something that hasn't been done before. Though the battle specs have been in 3D scopes, this game will be in complete 3D! Let's get the training and breeding beginning so we can destroy this new game!




REMEMBER to BECOME a FAN by LIKING our FACEBOOK page! Our Honest View









  
By: "The" Tre Calvin
Replay Value: Infinite




 

No comments:

Post a Comment